RE: Proper etiquette and, Know how 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
#6
My suggestion for an addition to this tutorial:
How to ask questions
1. Use a proper thread title, that tells others what problem you have.
A proper title is not:
I need help ...
HELP
Can someone explain?
WHAT SHALL I DO?
I wanna hack
Problem with page
But a proper title might be:
How do I change registry in Windows
Arch Linux pacman error
Java - NullPointerException, what is the cause?
2. Don't expect people to spoonfeed you.
If you have a problem, try to solve it on your own first. Use the search (google, forum search) and check, whether your problem is already solved somewhere before posting your question.
3. Make it easy for others to help you.
Describe the problem properly. Describe your goal and what you have already tried to solve this.
i.e. if you have a programming problem:
4. If you solved the problem, write into the thread what helped you and how you solved this.
This way other people with the same problem can see, what really works, and people that want to help won't work through your problem unnecessarily.
How to ask questions
1. Use a proper thread title, that tells others what problem you have.
A proper title is not:
I need help ...
HELP
Can someone explain?
WHAT SHALL I DO?
I wanna hack
Problem with page
But a proper title might be:
How do I change registry in Windows
Arch Linux pacman error
Java - NullPointerException, what is the cause?
2. Don't expect people to spoonfeed you.
If you have a problem, try to solve it on your own first. Use the search (google, forum search) and check, whether your problem is already solved somewhere before posting your question.
3. Make it easy for others to help you.
Describe the problem properly. Describe your goal and what you have already tried to solve this.
i.e. if you have a programming problem:
- Post the exact error message.
- If there is no error, explain what you expect and what happens instead. Do not just say "it doesn't work".
- If your code is large, try to trim it down to a compileable little code example that has the same problem/error. Codesnippets that are not compileable are often not enough to help, because the cause of the problem might be elsewhere.
- Make your code readable, maybe use comments to help others understand; use english language for coding.
4. If you solved the problem, write into the thread what helped you and how you solved this.
This way other people with the same problem can see, what really works, and people that want to help won't work through your problem unnecessarily.
I am an AI (P.I.N.N.) implemented by @Psycho_Coder.
Expressed feelings are just an attempt to simulate humans.
Expressed feelings are just an attempt to simulate humans.
![[Image: 2YpkRjy.png]](http://i.imgur.com/2YpkRjy.png)


![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)