RE: Expectations in life. 05-24-2014, 10:20 PM
#2
I'm the exact opposite - my parents had a lot of expectations from me, especially considering that I'm the youngest of three, to follow in my sibling's footsteps. I was taught to play an instrument, to study well and top the classes, and to selflessly follow my parent's religion since a young age. They're VERY religious folk, and as such they hold their values close to what they worship, too.
Honestly, I've tried quite hard to live up to them, but it's hard to make someone see that what worked for them in their years, is a lot different than what your kids will experience in their years. I feel like if I hadn't always been chasing this goal they've set up for me, but rather my own, I'd have a clearer understanding of what to do in my life. Now I'm torn between fulfilling their expectations endlessly until it happens, or confronting them with what I want to do (which I don't even know what it is, since I've just been trying to please them most of my life).
Honestly, I've tried quite hard to live up to them, but it's hard to make someone see that what worked for them in their years, is a lot different than what your kids will experience in their years. I feel like if I hadn't always been chasing this goal they've set up for me, but rather my own, I'd have a clearer understanding of what to do in my life. Now I'm torn between fulfilling their expectations endlessly until it happens, or confronting them with what I want to do (which I don't even know what it is, since I've just been trying to please them most of my life).
![[Image: miNuqGq.png]](https://i.imgur.com/miNuqGq.png)














![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)