Login Register






Suggestion: Thread auto close filter_list
Author
Message
RE: Suggestion: Thread auto close #11
(10-03-2014, 01:29 AM)Tarew Wrote: I don't think so. As long as the most recent posts are relevant and the thread is actually still good and useful, I could careless if it get's gravedug and I think most members here still think the same way.

(10-03-2014, 02:20 AM)2460h1 Wrote: I am with @Tarew - Gravedigging is only really gravedigging if the topic is dead. Dead does not necessarily mean simply age. If you find a thread thats unanswered but 3 years old and you answer it - that benefits the community. It may not benefit the OP but you never know who might find the answer in a Google result. Having solid threads that answer questions will attract new users.

Likewise - If someone asks a simple question a week ago and gets answered immediately. Yet 5 days later someone else posts the same answer. Or something off topic. They are gravedigging. This goes for people who simply post ~"nice tut" or an equally LQ response on a 2 week old tutorial or a 3 year old tutorial.

I am more inclined to believe that LQ posting should be punished by the mods rather than having a system based method for automatically closing threads after an arbitrary amount of time. I moderate/administrate a few other forums and this is the approach I take . If someone does it once I hit the delete button (LQ Posts, not Gravedigging, although they often overlap). If someone goes on a spamming spree and does it 20-30 times (Eg C/P the same thing) I give them a warning and state that this is unacceptable.

I'm with this anytime.
[Image: dHJ4Beo.gif]
Hidden Lesson: Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always well thought of.