RE: Vitamin C... 10-25-2020, 06:54 PM
#41
(10-25-2020, 06:03 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:(03-07-2016, 11:33 PM)Jiggly Wrote:(03-07-2016, 11:23 PM)primitiv Wrote: If you've ever had gummy vitamin supplements, you will probably also know that they taste pretty good. So since I've been sick, I've been popping them as if they were candy. (I also ate a lot of candy. Nerds, Gobstoppers, JellyBeans, etc...) However, apparently you can technically "overdose" on Vitamin C.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifest...q-20058030
This is the part that bothers me.
I don't want that.
I have stopped my vitamin C addiction as of today since I've had the diarrhea, but that might've been from the fruit sundae I had.
Good day.
Oh balls. I never knew this. Everything has to be consumed in moderation, even the "good" stuff.
You didn't know it because it's not true.
You can't "overdose" on ascorbic acid, your body takes what it wants and excretes the rest in your urine. Usually your body will absorb about 300mg a day, so taking 10g a day is going to put a huge stress on your renal system. You can avoid the kidneystones by either
1. Not taking way too much when you don't need it (I commonly take 500-1000mg a day)
2. Drinking enough water to compensate for the excess
As for multivitamins, etc, avoid them entirely. The QA in them (at least in the US) is nil. If you assay each dose, you'll often find that a supplement that should have 50mg A and 50MG B might have 100mg A and 0mg B.
For important things like vitamin C (ascorbic acid), just buy it plain. I generally use powders so I can mix a bit into my coffee or water (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HFOJBG2)
For Iron, just avoid those completely. The iron you get from those is usually made from plants, and your body won't absorb most of it. Just have a steak instead.
This is spot on. It also aligns with advice I've been given by a health and wellness coach and doctors. Although I technically take a multi vitamin supplement, it's not one you'd get from a grocery store off the shelf. Its a specific set for what I need. Even then, they're separated into different servings. It's also what I was told to take by a doctor.
Vitamins aren't necessarily a one size fits all situation. Some people need more than others, and ofc your diet comes into this.
![[Image: 4GNsK67.png]](http://i.imgur.com/4GNsK67.png)
























![[Image: bk90yJf.png]](http://i.imgur.com/bk90yJf.png)
![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)