Login Register






Computer Forensics filter_list
Author
Message
RE: Computer Forensics #11
(05-28-2019, 04:38 PM)Sartux Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 06:29 AM)Magnetron Wrote: Forensics can still be useful in the event of a crash or accidentally deleting your own stuff, however.
I recovered a video that took me 16 hours to edit one time. Another time, the piece of shit Windows Disk Manager deleted all 8 partitions on a 2TB drive. One partition in particular was very difficult to recover but I did it. And the ultimate: a 250GB USB stick failed and the filesystem was corrupted so I had no choice but to recover everything by hand, a process which took 6 months. Every repair shop told me it would be impossible, every tech forum on the internet said the same. I offered $10,000 to anyone who could do it and nobody took the offer. I did the impossible.

Forensics is pretty fucking useful.
That's damn impressive. Good work.

Do you mind me asking what tools you used?

I mainly used X-Ways Forensics (Winhex) coupled with a bunch of other apps to assist me such as TestDisk to help identify partition metadata and a bunch more smaller apps and scripts for miscellaneous stuff that came along the way. Putting fragmented files back together may rank as the most annoying task ever in data recovery.

Reply





Messages In This Thread
Computer Forensics - by dismay - 05-20-2019, 02:43 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by Sartux - 05-20-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by dismay - 05-20-2019, 03:51 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by q0xd - 05-20-2019, 04:06 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by catchnina - 05-20-2019, 11:08 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by mothered - 05-21-2019, 04:46 AM
RE: Computer Forensics - by Magnetron - 05-21-2019, 06:29 AM
RE: Computer Forensics - by dismay - 05-21-2019, 07:01 AM
RE: Computer Forensics - by Magnetron - 05-21-2019, 12:22 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by Sartux - 05-28-2019, 04:38 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by Magnetron - 05-29-2019, 02:55 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by urgodfather - 06-24-2019, 10:10 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by Tivoli - 08-21-2020, 09:37 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by taylostolo - 08-21-2020, 09:55 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by Tivoli - 08-21-2020, 10:15 PM
RE: Computer Forensics - by taylostolo - 08-22-2020, 12:45 AM