RE: Desktop Environments in Linux. 04-06-2019, 03:00 PM
#4
(04-06-2019, 06:54 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:(04-05-2019, 07:51 PM)darkninja1980 Wrote: Desktop Environments in Linux. I know there are 3 different types of Linux environments are Xfce, KDE, and Gnome. What are the differences in the 3?
They're completely separate environments. Absolutely nothing is interchanged (except obvious things like Xorg and GTK).
As for a user experience thing, the major difference is look and feel. KDE is more windows-like, XFCE is more macos-like, and Gnome is just shit (it used to be a kind of middle ground between XFCE and KDE, but newer stuff was designed for tablets and sucks ass).
These things are broken down into 2 components:
1. A window manager (the thing that controls where windows get placed, allows resizing and moving, etc)
2. a compositor (draws fancy UI stuff. menu bars, chrome-like controls, things like that).
All you're really changing up is that compositor, but as a user, that's the biggest thing you see.
do you know of any direct links that I can learn more information on the 3 environments? well, I was reading your post about Tablets right. You said no environment is out for that one yet? And why I ask because I am going to be taking my Linux certifications exams. So I need to know this stuff when I am working in the real world or making my own distro in Linux. Thank you for responding to my post.
My IT skills that I know perfect is SQL, HTML ,css ,wordpress, PHP.
coding skills that I know is Java, JavaScript and C#
coding skills that I know is Java, JavaScript and C#










![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)