RE: What is your favorite Operating System? 12-15-2017, 07:16 AM
#266
(12-14-2017, 05:55 PM)phyrrus9 Wrote:(12-14-2017, 07:33 AM)Sunny. Wrote:(12-14-2017, 05:33 AM)Ender Wrote: I really suggest that you move from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE or Arch/Antergos.
Ubuntu (non-server) breaks a lot, and has a ton of useless bloat that you don't need. On top of that, they announce that they spy on you like Windows (read the privacy policy).
I also suggest that you move from Linux in its entirety and switch over to FreeBSD. FreeBSD is a much more stable and clean operating system. This is because it is a full operating system, unlike Linux with its many distributions. You can also use jails for the purpose of testing new software without wrecking your clean, base system structure. I have used Debian, Arch, and FreeBSD, and for me, FreeBSD proved as a much more clean and stable system. It also has a cleaner and simpler code base as many auditors of Debian and FreeBSD code have stated.
FreeBSD can be a pain in the ass to set up (it took me around a full week to get all my problems fixed for one of my computers), but it is well worth it in the end.
I agree. BSD was a pain in the ass way back when, but now that its got the entire linux API built in, supports amd64, and have been modernized it's really the clear choice. That's some of the reasons iOS/MacOS are BSD at their core rather than linux
That's true. Since FreeBSD also uses the BSD licence, it gives companies way more control to commercially use the operating system (which I personally dislike, as I hate greedy, shitty corporations taking open work and using it for profits). With my laptop, I ran into practically no problems (only some issues with the audio), but tons with my tower. Could have been because FreeBSD did not support the old hardware. I also like how it does not have so many dependencies and does not use Systemd (which is the case for the majority of Linux distributions, and tons of Linux software requires Systemd nonetheless anyways).


![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)