RE: My Advice for Computer Science Students 07-23-2017, 01:11 AM
#15
(07-22-2017, 03:58 AM)Asura Wrote:(07-21-2017, 11:32 PM)Jiggly Wrote: One of the hardest things, especially with US colleges/universities, is knowing what it will be like before you're there. At that age, you don't always know the right questions to ask or what to check for.I was very clueless when picking a college at the time. I was 18 (pretty dumb) and fresh out of high school. I definitely didn't know the right questions to ask. ._.
If anyone ever wants help/advice on looking for the right university, I'm no expert, but I might help you look for those things you may not have thought of. I'm doing a master's in higher education
(07-21-2017, 11:59 PM)God Wrote: If you're willing to relocate, you can always check out areas with less competition. Also keep in mind that the people writing job requirements include EVERYTHING. Often times the one writing it may not even have experience within the branch that's hiring. So don't let an absurd amount of experience or skills deter you as just about everyone that's going to apply is missing many.I would relocate but unable to currently thus why I'm only left with warehouse/customer service-like jobs. I admit that looking at the requirements/qualifications do kind of 'scare' me away. I'll keep that in mind next time.
In the meantime if you are in a different industry, it's a good time to work on some side projects and build a portfolio.
Thank you both for your inputs.
You're welcome!
Although, never be afraid to make an application for a job you're not sure you're qualified for. I've recently been meeting with some high-ups at various higher education institutions, and when they tell the stories about how they've got into high end jobs, they all seem to say that they applied for jobs even if they weren't sure. The worst that can happen? You could always say no to it.
![[Image: 4GNsK67.png]](http://i.imgur.com/4GNsK67.png)

























![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)