RE: What does Sinisterly Drive? 01-18-2017, 11:40 PM
#39
(01-18-2017, 04:58 PM)Panther_ Wrote:(01-18-2017, 05:05 AM)zorrophreak Wrote:
Just got my learners so I can't drive all I want. But it was at such a low price (and its not complete trash,) so I went ahead and got it for when I get licensed. Essentially just keeping the thing alive for now.
(01-17-2017, 12:16 PM)phyrrus9 Wrote: that is quite honestly the worse car ever made...
Wow, I can not agree with that more.
You do know about the rotary engine blowing up after about 80-90k miles on the RX8 right? If it was cheap and a high miler get rid of it. The cost to run it for the short wile you have it with all the oil isn't worth it and then it might die. My uncle had one and 3 weeks after he sold it it was scrapped.
I have heard of this. Although my dad had an RX8 for a good while before selling it for a 350z. It had well surpassed 120k. I think a lot of the issues is due to poor maintenance, although it can be attributed to the car itself. As long as it runs I think I'll be good for now, as I am using it as a project car slightly, so the maintenance will be okay to me.
(01-18-2017, 05:24 PM)Aether Wrote:(01-18-2017, 04:58 PM)Panther_ Wrote:(01-18-2017, 05:05 AM)zorrophreak Wrote:
Just got my learners so I can't drive all I want. But it was at such a low price (and its not complete trash,) so I went ahead and got it for when I get licensed. Essentially just keeping the thing alive for now.
Wow, I can not agree with that more.
You do know about the rotary engine blowing up after about 80-90k miles on the RX8 right? If it was cheap and a high miler get rid of it. The cost to run it for the short wile you have it with all the oil isn't worth it and then it might die. My uncle had one and 3 weeks after he sold it it was scrapped.
Can confirm, I've had a buddy who bought a 2011 mazda rx8 second hand for around €8,000 Euros (and it had +- 80K Km). After 4 months the engine Blew out and it will cost him +-€2,500 for the engine + shipping + labor costs will be around +- €5,000.
Yeah, rotaries aren't cheap to rebuild or replace.
(01-18-2017, 05:31 PM)phyrrus9 Wrote:(01-18-2017, 04:58 PM)Panther_ Wrote:(01-18-2017, 05:05 AM)zorrophreak Wrote:
Just got my learners so I can't drive all I want. But it was at such a low price (and its not complete trash,) so I went ahead and got it for when I get licensed. Essentially just keeping the thing alive for now.
Wow, I can not agree with that more.
You do know about the rotary engine blowing up after about 80-90k miles on the RX8 right? If it was cheap and a high miler get rid of it. The cost to run it for the short wile you have it with all the oil isn't worth it and then it might die. My uncle had one and 3 weeks after he sold it it was scrapped.
Yep.. cooling issues caused seals to fail. Those are really easy to fix though.
This^. There is also talk about poor lubrication and bad seals. I have a 13b engine from my dads RX7, so if I have trouble, I may just do some work to fit it with that. A friend of mine does work on rotaries exclusively in his spare time, so it may help if I need to.
(01-18-2017, 07:14 PM)sleaze Wrote:(01-18-2017, 05:31 PM)phyrrus9 Wrote:(01-18-2017, 04:58 PM)Panther_ Wrote: You do know about the rotary engine blowing up after about 80-90k miles on the RX8 right? If it was cheap and a high miler get rid of it. The cost to run it for the short wile you have it with all the oil isn't worth it and then it might die. My uncle had one and 3 weeks after he sold it it was scrapped.
Yep.. cooling issues caused seals to fail. Those are really easy to fix though.
BUT IT REVS TO 9500 RPM
Nah, always fix it to run higher. I've gotten this thing to run past 10k. (this is a joke.)
You can find me on Keybase
"Reach the state of ubiquity, and you will be in control"
Student, Technician, Designer, and more.
![[Image: YUpAMpx.png]](https://i.imgur.com/YUpAMpx.png)
"Reach the state of ubiquity, and you will be in control"
Student, Technician, Designer, and more.
![[Image: YUpAMpx.png]](https://i.imgur.com/YUpAMpx.png)





![[Image: Mazda-RX8-black-(1).jpg]](http://autobmc.com/systemimages/Mazda-RX8-black-(1).jpg)
![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)