RE: Mysterious Pikachu Statue 10-01-2016, 05:08 AM
#10
(09-29-2016, 11:18 PM)xulas Wrote:(09-29-2016, 09:38 PM)Jiggly Wrote: Did you see the full statue? Not just the image in this thread? It's literally as detailed as the actual cartoon.
While I get what you mean, it's slightly incorrect. Modern Art is a movement from over 40 years ago. Current art is actually "Contemporary Art". It definitely takes a lot of concepts from modern art. The birth of camera technology made the accuracy and depiction of realistic things null. Art was a way to document previously, now it's not. Hence the crap people produce. However, to make these things still takes skill, regardless of whether it is at the level of the one of the greatest artists mankind has ever seen (Michelangelo).
Now that I checked the other pictures on the follow-up link, it looks a lot more like a proper pikachu. But I guess to be paid like a photographer, one has to assume the crouching 'look at me im a photographer' stance no matter the circumstances.
I hereby retract my first statement.
As for the textbook definition of modern art, I wouldn't know! I believe that its hideous birth has more to do with the ironic submission of a porcelain urinal(by Duchamp) as 'art' a hundred years ago rather than the use of camera's. This is my opinion, heavily influenced by the philosophy of Roger Scruton and Plato.
That is so true! This photographer almost defeated the point of taking a photo! Reminded me of the below if you'll excuse any potential offence:
![[Image: 8a0c34792b1946ebfdd31e1f85aa3e3a.jpg]](https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8a/0c/34/8a0c34792b1946ebfdd31e1f85aa3e3a.jpg)
The birth of photography is just one of many factors that lead to things as ridiculous as that. Modern Art really started in the 18th Century. Much of it started with the concept of one's own conscious and the movement away from religion towards science. You're pretty on the mark I think.
(09-29-2016, 10:01 PM)Customer Wrote: Why does it look so old?
Who decided "Welp, today.. I've got nothing to do. I guess I'll make a pikachu statue!"
It's just the material - A lot of statues are being made like this now. This stuff has a very rough texture. I personally prefer more "finished" and "polished" sculptures but hey ho.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2016, 05:11 AM by Jiggly.)
![[Image: 4GNsK67.png]](http://i.imgur.com/4GNsK67.png)
























![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)