RE: [Python] File Sorter 06-19-2014, 01:39 PM
#7
You want feedback? Well, take a look at mine, lol. Maybe add a config file like I did, to easily add new file types/folders. Also, as already suggested, make it take arguments from the command line. This will make it much easier for the user, to actually choose a path.
I really won't recommend this code, sorry.
Optparse has been deprecated since of Python 2.7 besides, argparse has several more features than optparse.
Second, it's not really recommended to create a main function like that in Python. Absolutely no need for it. And "my_sweet_sort() ? Function/class and variable names should tell as much about the function/value they hold.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but since you gave feedback, I thought it was ok for me to do the same thing.
(06-19-2014, 12:19 PM)L0aD1nG Wrote: You could grab the whole code to a function and do this..
Code:import optparse import sys def my_sweet_sort(path): <the whole code> def main(): parser = optparse.OptionParser("Usage : " + sys.argv[0] + " -p <path you would like sort>" ) parser.add_option('-p', dest = 'sort_path', type = 'string', help = 'This is the path location you want to sort') (options, args) = parser.parse_args() sort_path = options.sort_path if not sort_path: print parser.usage exit(1) else: my_sweet_sort(sort_path) exit(0) ## At last check if debug mode given and run it if __name__ == '__main__': main()
So you can now do this from the cmd:
python myscript.py -p <path to sort>
I just made a suggestion i hope that is allowed
Well done posting the code so everyone can learn from i love people like you!
Also well done doing that with python!!!
Cheers!
I really won't recommend this code, sorry.
Optparse has been deprecated since of Python 2.7 besides, argparse has several more features than optparse.
- handling positional arguments
- supporting sub-commands
- allowing alternative option prefixes like + and /
- handling zero-or-more and one-or-more style arguments
- producing more informative usage messages
- providing a much simpler interface for custom types and actions
Second, it's not really recommended to create a main function like that in Python. Absolutely no need for it. And "my_sweet_sort() ? Function/class and variable names should tell as much about the function/value they hold.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but since you gave feedback, I thought it was ok for me to do the same thing.



![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)