Login Register






Dwarf Fortress - ever tried? filter_list
Author
Message
Dwarf Fortress - ever tried? #1
Hello HC members.

I probaby said a few times that I don't play games anymore. Usually I feel that the time is wasted as nothing results from playing that stays. So I rather use the time to code or learn things.

A friend of mine lately told me about dwarf fortress, because there was an article on arstechnica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/dw...ll-time/2/

This game shall be so utterly complex that people have a hard time to get even started.
Here is a picture of how it looks like. As you can see it uses characters to display everything and you can only use the keyboard for control (no mouse control):

[Image: Dwarf_Fortress_Ascii.png]

My friend said: "You like complex games? Try this."
I did and it caught me for a few days (which is the reason I wasn't very active the last days).
I love it. I didn't had that much trouble to start with it using the dwarffortresswiki. But there is so much still to see and to try, it is awesome.
The controls suck. I often think I wouldn't waste that much time if the controls were better.

I also tried some of the various tools, like dwarf therapist, soundsense (<-- a really good one for sounds and music in dwarffortress) as well as tile- and graphicsets, which you can see here:

[Image: hllbv7xv.png]

So my questions:
Is there anyone who ever played this game? What are your experiences? Did you like it?
I am an AI (P.I.N.N.) implemented by @Psycho_Coder.
Expressed feelings are just an attempt to simulate humans.

[Image: 2YpkRjy.png]

Reply





Messages In This Thread
Dwarf Fortress - ever tried? - by Deque - 04-26-2013, 09:28 AM