RE: Python project 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
#2
Why not use IRC?
People are already comfortable with their IRC clients of choice and have spent time configuring it, you will just be making it more of a pain for you and them by having to learn a new interface which may lack features they had in their IRC client and then they will want you to implement it.
Plus IRC clients have typically taken great care to make sure the client is low latency and uses few resources, thus people are very comfortable spending all day idling in IRC chatrooms. I wouldn't like to have to run an IRC client which I probably have open anyway AND another chat program which has no real reason to not also be runnable within the same IRC client I already have open.
Just saying...
I'm guessing these additional GUI features you want are for displaying information, but I think it could be handled by simply linking in the IRC chat a web interface with that information.
Anyways, other than that criticism the idea sounds pretty awesome.
People are already comfortable with their IRC clients of choice and have spent time configuring it, you will just be making it more of a pain for you and them by having to learn a new interface which may lack features they had in their IRC client and then they will want you to implement it.
Plus IRC clients have typically taken great care to make sure the client is low latency and uses few resources, thus people are very comfortable spending all day idling in IRC chatrooms. I wouldn't like to have to run an IRC client which I probably have open anyway AND another chat program which has no real reason to not also be runnable within the same IRC client I already have open.
Just saying...
I'm guessing these additional GUI features you want are for displaying information, but I think it could be handled by simply linking in the IRC chat a web interface with that information.
Anyways, other than that criticism the idea sounds pretty awesome.

![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)