Login Register






Help with Beginner Code filter_list
Author
Message
Help with Beginner Code #1
I am very new to C++. I only barely decided to use my extra time to study C++ in 21 Days, that I have saved in my bookmarks.

I am not even halfway through Day 3 but decided to TRY and write a small calculator from an already written example program.

In advance, there is MUCH missing in this program, I already realize. It's only something I wish to do before continuing in the book.

I wrote it where, in the main menu, you may choose a form of math.

Code:
cout << "Choose one: (M)ultiply, (A)dd, (S)ubtract, (D)ivide: \n"; cout << "Letter of choice: ";

For now I am using Multiply() to experiment with.

The entire main() in progress is:

Code:
/***************MAIN BLOCK***************/ int main() { /*Working redirection to Multiply()*/ cout << "Choose one: (M)ultiply, (A)dd, (S)ubtract, (D)ivide: \n"; cout << "Letter of choice: "; char a; cin >> a; cin.ignore ( 500, '\n' ); //not completely positive what this line is for besides ignoring *blank* if (a == 'M' or 'm') { Multiply(); } system("PAUSE"); return 0; }

Once I enter M, it allows me to enter 2 numbers to multiply as written in Multiply ():

Code:
/***************MULTIPLY BLOCK***************/ int Multiply (int x, int y) { return (x*y); } void Multiply() { int a, b, c; cout << "2 numbers to multiply: "; //for user to enter numbers separated w/spaces cin >> a; //input number cin >> b; //input number c=Multiply(a,b); //calculating step cout << "The product of " << a << " and " << b << " = " << c << "\n"; //returns product to user in text w/number values system("PAUSE"); //to prevent spam of incorrect input /*Working redirection on Multiply()*/ cout << "Another ('Y' or 'N')? "; //attempting to redirect 'Y' to Multiply() and 'N' to cout char d; cin >> d; if (d == 'N' or 'n') { cout << "Have a nice day!\n"; } }
[Image: 14ie4hl.jpg]

The first problem I have that I want to solve before anything is redirecting a 'Y' input back to the Multiply() function. If I use another char such as 'e' and try:

Code:
else if (e == 'Y' or 'y') { Multiply() }

below the first if, no matter what choice I enter it exits the program.


The second problem I have is in main(). It's the exact same problem I'm working in Multiply() but want to use more choices and return them to the function chosen. Again, I can only seem to do it for Multiply() (or any other I replace Multiply() with) but any second, or third input that I have tried before using if to link them to a specific block, has redirected back to Multiply().

It may be baby steps that I am missing but I decided to give it a shot anyway.
[Image: 20t2nn7.jpg]
︻┳═一
HackerExecute
Pwned | Twitter






Messages In This Thread
Help with Beginner Code - by hackerexecute_mybb_import6869 - 11-21-2012, 12:43 AM