RE: IPage or self hosted on a linux dedi? 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM
#4
(04-30-2014, 01:47 AM)Geoff Wrote: So let me get this straight:
A. iPage is slow, lacks advanced features, and costs money (even if its cheap)
B. You have a dedi server with full control that could host the site with no additional cost and presumably fast speeds.
Do we really need to state the obvious for you?
Obviously yes my dedi gets 1Gbps upload but the problem I'm having is would it be more secure to host in with a third party seeing as how the site will have billing and payment information on it and I'm worried there may be a security risk. I guess what I'm asking is that would it be better to use iPage where everything is setup and its their problem not mine or use my own dedicated boxes and have to learn/setup all of the stuff associated. My box is already running apache with phpmyadmin perl, pear, and other associated tools you would need to host a website/webserver with but I do not actually know how to set it up properly.
So which is best for me? If hosting it with a 3rd party is better can you recommend any good alternatives (I was looking at GoDaddy but it can get pricey)
@dropzon3
Thanks didn't see your reply till after I posted this ^ but yea I think I may just make a test site and host it on the server play around with it for a bit than point the domain to it when I'm comfortable its ready. I was just worried about security issues (eg: someone hacks into the site through an overlooked vuln and than they get access to my other stuff on the box).




![[Image: hB771xr.png?1?5086]](http://i.imgur.com/hB771xr.png?1?5086)
![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)