RE: {Linux Tips} Paths Edition: Relative vs. Absolute Paths 09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
#4
All very basic information, but I bet someone will find it useful. Thanks for teaching people!
I don't know if they will skim through it. When I first started using Linux (years ago, now) I would have loved to have seen stuff like this. Instead, I picked up the information over time. That being said, I used Linux as my primary operating system for a good amount of time, so it wasn't necessarily about hacking. It was about understanding how to use an operating system.
(09-09-2014, 09:57 AM)Reiko Wrote: For anyone wondering "what does this have to do with hacking?" or "how can this help me hack?", look into file inclusion vulnerabilities. Roger's trying to educate everyone the proper way, and I commend him for that. However, a lot of this site's userbase are just going to skim this or disregard it if they're anything like I was when I was their age, unless they can immediately understand how it relates to their goal of being l33t h4x0rs.
Again, I'm not bashing your work Roger. I actually love it. I'm just trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator here
EDIT: Something that was not mentioned when dealing with paths is the special . path. It simply refers to the current directory.
If you're in /var/www already and you do this:
you'll end up in /var/www/html. You can also just do "cd html". I mentioned the . variant because it's useful in evading simplistic web-application firewalls. You can even do something like /var/www//////html or /var/www//././././././././../www//./../././././www///html and you'll still end up where you intended.Code:cd ./html
I don't know if they will skim through it. When I first started using Linux (years ago, now) I would have loved to have seen stuff like this. Instead, I picked up the information over time. That being said, I used Linux as my primary operating system for a good amount of time, so it wasn't necessarily about hacking. It was about understanding how to use an operating system.













![[Image: 7ajmN5P.jpg]](https://i.imgur.com/7ajmN5P.jpg)
![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)