RE: How would you stop mass shootings? 05-13-2023, 09:38 AM
#3
(05-10-2023, 02:01 AM)splindoffi Wrote: First off I think it is a very complex problem to talk about... I don't believe in the "only" solution, but in achieving some goals that require efforts from politics to citizens.
Idk where you're writing from, I suppose you're American. here in my country "little" importance is given to this kind of news too, as they have become too "common" - to date, at least 200 shootings since the beginning of the year - and yet we're talking about people who died for nothing, so I believe this should always be relevant.
I'dike to subjectively reply to the "solutions" proposed in your last paragraph:
*banning guns... I wouldn't even know how to fully express myself, but we both know it's an utopia; I would start asking myself "do you really need an assault rifle to defend yourself? can I limit the sale of heavy weapons?"
*more armed guards in public places could prevent certain incidents, but it would open up new scenarios... (personally, I wouldn't feel so "safe" walking in places full of guards, idk I'd probably become even more anxious)
*starting from the "why?" can certainly be a starting point. these shiotings often occur because of mentally ill or economic disadvantaged people; so "can we improve support for those who suffer from certain problems?".
There is still so much to say, w lot, but I hope I have been respectful in expressing myself subjectively and not generalizing, as this is a very serious issue, especially for those who experience this reality face first.
Stay safe
Thanks for your thoughts! I like to think of this thread as a chance to discuss some ideas, judgement free. We're not going to be the ones who make decisions or changes, but it's interesting to think about "what ifs".
For reference, I'm British, but I have spent a little time in the US. I try to be as open minded as possible, and as objective as appropriate, but I will have my own biases.
I think I used to feel the same about seeing armed guards. However, now I've flown around a lot with armed guards at most airports, and gotten to know some people who are military/police, I feel less bothered about it. Now I look at armed guards like they're normal people who are skilled/trained in something specific. If that makes sense? The familiarity made the anxiety disappear, so I wonder if that would be the case if we were used to armed guards everywhere? Then again, its America, and they're very freedom motivated, so I don't know how armed guards would impact that value for freedom. Does it invite more freedom to feel safe or less if the guards are publicly employed?
![[Image: 4GNsK67.png]](http://i.imgur.com/4GNsK67.png)
























![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)