RE: Disgust the savior of human beings and a gift from God 07-26-2022, 05:42 PM
#4
(Sorry for the long-ass post)
For some people, including one of my close friends, getting access to HRT at a young age was important to prevent bodily changes that are irreversible (aka development of male features) which could only be changed with extreme surgeries, which can only reduce the appearance of male features and not eliminate them. People who regret treatments are a very tiny percentage of those who go through them. However, it shows that more studies/knowledge/trained doctors are needed in this field.
There's a reason Transexuals have the highest suicide rate, and I don't think preventing people from accessing care is the way to reduce that number. What would be really useful, is to encourage more scientific study, so people get the correct care. That does not mean HRT or surgeries for kids, it means proper CARE. For example, referrals to psychologists, information sharing, coping methods, and accurate diagnosis.
People are freaking out over giving kids hormones... But I'd like to point out that they've been doing this for decades. It's called contraception and girls may take it from the point of their first period, normally between 9-13 years of age. While that isn't the same as HRT, it does have similar impacts. Doctor's should be warning people about the risks they are taking for any kind of treatment, whether it be mental, hormonal, surgeries or drugs. Again, more training for doctors and scientific study required.
Kurdy, you mention disgust as means to validate the rejection of the LGBT+ community, although you talk about it mostly in relation to Transgender individuals (keep in mind, that group covers a massive variety of people). It is my opinion that the historical and religious text examples are somewhat invalid in today's world. One of the reasons I say this, is because that would set a precedent to make it acceptable to take back the rights for women to vote, and they would again legally become "property" rather than individuals in their own right. A lot of history infringes upon my rights as a female. I am not angry about it, as that is just what happened in the past. I don't think the past is a good indication for how we should act about something today. I think there is a good reason many countries have changed laws around LGBT+ communities, as much as I think there is a good reason they changed laws around women's rights.
Personal/religious beliefs may tell you it's wrong. However, that's the choice of the people who are in same sex relationships. You can still follow your beliefs, but the LGBT+ advocates are asking people not to condemn or hurt them for not agreeing with those beliefs. Their souls are their responsibility. (Ofc, Kurdy you are very respectable and hold your beliefs without hurting anyone).
Personally, I think it's important that people are able to pursue happiness and love in whatever form that takes. However, I'm from the UK and have been raised to find these relationships quite normal.
I do agree that a lot of the treatments are experimental, or are very limited. If the average GP was trained, in at least HRT and other less specialist treatments, people would be less likely to self-medicate (which is so dangerous and extremely common as people don't have access to care). With the lack of scientific knowledge and trained doctors, the problem is only getting worse. People are put under enormous financial strain trying to get help, which again, perpetuates the mental health risks.
I've learned about transexual and gay people since I was able to walk and talk. I once accidentally ended up at a gay pride parade. I don't believe seeing the flag, or being exposed to it is making people gay. If that was true, why am I not lesbian/bi or transgender? However, it does seem to have become "trendy". That worries me, but it will pass, as all trends do. I also know bisexual people who do not like gay pride celebrations or flags.
For some people, including one of my close friends, getting access to HRT at a young age was important to prevent bodily changes that are irreversible (aka development of male features) which could only be changed with extreme surgeries, which can only reduce the appearance of male features and not eliminate them. People who regret treatments are a very tiny percentage of those who go through them. However, it shows that more studies/knowledge/trained doctors are needed in this field.
There's a reason Transexuals have the highest suicide rate, and I don't think preventing people from accessing care is the way to reduce that number. What would be really useful, is to encourage more scientific study, so people get the correct care. That does not mean HRT or surgeries for kids, it means proper CARE. For example, referrals to psychologists, information sharing, coping methods, and accurate diagnosis.
People are freaking out over giving kids hormones... But I'd like to point out that they've been doing this for decades. It's called contraception and girls may take it from the point of their first period, normally between 9-13 years of age. While that isn't the same as HRT, it does have similar impacts. Doctor's should be warning people about the risks they are taking for any kind of treatment, whether it be mental, hormonal, surgeries or drugs. Again, more training for doctors and scientific study required.
Kurdy, you mention disgust as means to validate the rejection of the LGBT+ community, although you talk about it mostly in relation to Transgender individuals (keep in mind, that group covers a massive variety of people). It is my opinion that the historical and religious text examples are somewhat invalid in today's world. One of the reasons I say this, is because that would set a precedent to make it acceptable to take back the rights for women to vote, and they would again legally become "property" rather than individuals in their own right. A lot of history infringes upon my rights as a female. I am not angry about it, as that is just what happened in the past. I don't think the past is a good indication for how we should act about something today. I think there is a good reason many countries have changed laws around LGBT+ communities, as much as I think there is a good reason they changed laws around women's rights.
Personal/religious beliefs may tell you it's wrong. However, that's the choice of the people who are in same sex relationships. You can still follow your beliefs, but the LGBT+ advocates are asking people not to condemn or hurt them for not agreeing with those beliefs. Their souls are their responsibility. (Ofc, Kurdy you are very respectable and hold your beliefs without hurting anyone).
Personally, I think it's important that people are able to pursue happiness and love in whatever form that takes. However, I'm from the UK and have been raised to find these relationships quite normal.
Quote:This is disgusting, what do children understand about genders and their future life to go under all these external and environmental effects leading them to think about changing his/her gender?I can't speak for all nations, but we actually had quite thorough education in my schools on this exact topic. We had many hours of lessons on the impact of the human body, and discussions about various moral viewpoints. Mostly we studied the science behind it - both as a mental disorder (as WHO called it at the time) and the various treatments, and their impacts on patients.
I do agree that a lot of the treatments are experimental, or are very limited. If the average GP was trained, in at least HRT and other less specialist treatments, people would be less likely to self-medicate (which is so dangerous and extremely common as people don't have access to care). With the lack of scientific knowledge and trained doctors, the problem is only getting worse. People are put under enormous financial strain trying to get help, which again, perpetuates the mental health risks.
I've learned about transexual and gay people since I was able to walk and talk. I once accidentally ended up at a gay pride parade. I don't believe seeing the flag, or being exposed to it is making people gay. If that was true, why am I not lesbian/bi or transgender? However, it does seem to have become "trendy". That worries me, but it will pass, as all trends do. I also know bisexual people who do not like gay pride celebrations or flags.
![[Image: 4GNsK67.png]](http://i.imgur.com/4GNsK67.png)
























![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)