RE: Linux vs Windows in terms of procrastination 04-02-2022, 10:37 AM
#3
(04-02-2022, 04:16 AM)Request Wrote: Not sure if you are looking for opinions on OSes, but I'll throw my 2 cents in as to why I've picked Linux over Windows as I've already written it when someone asked why someone would still use Linux when WSL is a thing:Points that I agree with on why Windows is worse than Linux:
Quote:X11 support is still shit and commercialized, WSL still runs under Hyper-V (WSL2)/pico processes so heavily multi-threaded tasks (something I have to do a lot, node_modules is also a killer) is noticeably about 50-100% slower under WSL compared to running native.
Lack of custom WMs
no FDE LUKS support
non-systemd-like services
no good integration with git/ssh/pgp/etc
no easy management of kernel-level features via the filesystem (`echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches` is very handy sometimes)
no bash/zsh (minus git bash, which sucks)
system updates taking hours and having to reboot (versus a package manager and live updates)
- X11 support is still shit and commercialized
True
- WSL still runs under Hyper-V (WSL2)/pico processes so heavily multi-threaded tasks (something I have to do a lot, node_modules is also a killer) is noticeably about 50-100% slower under WSL compared to running native.
I didn't know that WSL 2 ran under Hyper-V, on my system I would rather dual-boot anyway since I have limited RAM and CPU power.
- Lack of custom WMs
True but I never stop tinkering with those if the OS gives me an option to.
- no FDE LUKS support
True but you can use Bitlocker drive encryption.
- non-systemd-like services
True, more stuff like services are managed through GUI on Windows, which is slower most of the time.
But you can use Powershell to manage things through CLI on Windows, it does have a learning curve though.
- no good integration with git/ssh/pgp/etc
Also true but you can install apps like git for windows to remediate some of this, and the rest can be installed with Msys2 and it works okay, but Git is slow on Windows.
- no easy management of kernel-level features via the filesystem (`echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches` is very handy sometimes)
True but I never do things like this, and I think Windows being able to recover after a graphics driver crashes for example is helpful.
- no bash/zsh (minus git bash, which sucks)
Powershell is pretty good and is better than Bash/Zsh IMO, but Powershell can be installed on Linux too, so it doesn't really matter.
- system updates taking hours and having to reboot (versus a package manager and live updates)
You would still have to reboot after a big update on Linux, but I get your point.
Another thing is that you can use cool web UI's on Linux like Cockpit to externally manage your system / view stats and logs, idk if that is possible on Windows, maybe Netdata has Windows support?
I've switched over to RHEL 8 on my dualboot and enjoying it so far, no as much urge to rice as rolling release distros + it's very stable and I get good documentation.
RHEL also comes with SELinux enabled by default so you can very tightly control what is allowed to access what, but also has a big learning curve (I'm currently in the process of learning SELinux), on other distros though SELinux is hard AF to get configured as well as how RHEL does it, I don't think Windows comes with an equivalent for this.
If you want to get the latest version of RHEL for free, create a RedHat account and sign up for the developer program: https://developers.redhat.com/
And here's a RHEL 8 ISO (this is what I used): https://piratebay.party/torrent/52135336...Server_8.1
You have to sign in with your RedHat account while you install RHEL 8 because if you don't you won't be able to update the system.
IMO the OS that you use depends heavily on your usecase, as I mentioned above, nothing that I do on Linux is exclusive to Linux, can also be done on Windows, so for me I can use any ATM and I just use whatever OS I feel like using on different days.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 08:31 PM by y2zs.)

![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)