Ten Years of Service
Posts: 27
Threads: 3
Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-13-2015, 04:38 AM
#1
I've noticed that a lot of people simply despise an anime series that becomes popular or even semi-popular even though in terms of quality, it's fantastic or at least above average at the very least. A good example of this would be Akame ga Kill!, in which there's an intriguing story and characters you can get invested in. Overall I thought it was a pretty good anime, but a lot of other people I've seen online can't stand it. Their main argument was that the anime lost some of its quality simply because it got popular. This is also common with series such as WataMote (was considered a bad anime, awful by some) and Angel Beats (called bad or average).
What's your take on this?
(Side Note: Not trying to trying to say all popular anime are good, a fair amount of series are over-hyped and fail story-wise)
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 19,151
Threads: 2,067
RE: Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-13-2015, 02:55 PM
#2
I despise anime that is popular and awful. There's plenty I like that are popular and not awful. Some people are just hipsters (and they should kill themselves).
Ten Years of Service
Posts: 20
Threads: 3
RE: Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-13-2015, 06:55 PM
#3
I don't mind popular series. I'm that kind of guy who hates when a lot of people talk about a single thing that only he knew about. Not to call myself a hipster but yeah.
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 2,759
Threads: 297
RE: Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-18-2015, 11:36 PM
#4
My reasoning is twofold. 1. Alot of popular anime is such because of the coverage and hype. Sometimes its deserving of it, but most of the time the anime is either average, or plain bad. 2. Hyped anime gets a certain expectation that it can never meet. You can only be dissapointed by it.
Thirteen Years of Service
Posts: 9,098
Threads: 584
RE: Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-18-2015, 11:54 PM
#5
I often find that I get into shows/films before they become too hyped so I'm not entirely sure. However, I am the type of person who won't care about hype or media. I'll make up my own mind thank you very much. The only difference hype makes to me, is the likelihood of having someone to talk about it with if it's good/bad. I won't deny that hype can be very annoying, but I won't let that define my opinion of a show before I see it.
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 74,287
Threads: 317
RE: Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-21-2015, 01:40 PM
#6
It all depends how you absorb, handle and process the Information about the film and/or show.
Forget about It's surroundings, hype, media and anything Influential about It. Take It for what It Is and be your own judge.
•
Eleven Years of Service
Posts: 611
Threads: 74
RE: Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-25-2015, 03:25 PM
#8
I tend to avoid anime all together because I'm not a fan of reading subtitles, there are a number of animes that have English dubs but at the same time I'm just not a huge fan that being said I do relate an anime's popularity directly to its quality for instance Gurran Laggan is an Anime I liked and it was very popular when I gave it a shot.
Sig by @Symadox
XMPP: Mi5@DukGo.com
•
Ten Years of Service
Posts: 49
Threads: 3
RE: Does Popularity of an Anime Affect People's Interpretation of Quality? 11-26-2015, 07:22 PM
#9
I'm thinking yes.
Because, the more it is on the top, you might want to see it more.
I sell ROBLOX Items. HMU at the PM~
•