Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 98
Threads: 3
Anybody on here car smart? 02-05-2011, 08:27 AM
#1
I have a 1999 Mercury Cougar Coupe V6 with a five speed transmission. For some reason it doesn't like to start when the engine is cold and I have to use starter fluid to get it to start. If it runs for a while and then I start it it'll start right up. The battery terminals are really corroded and every now and then lose connection and need to be tightened. Is it possible that because of not having a great connection the starter isn't able to get full power? I don't really have the money to go out and buy a new battery if it isn't a main part of the problem.
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-11-2011, 04:33 AM
#2
(02-05-2011, 08:27 AM)Havoc Wrote: I have a 1991 Mercury Cougar Coupe V6 with a five speed transmission. For some reason it doesn't like to start when the engine is cold and I have to use starter fluid to get it to start. If it runs for a while and then I start it it'll start right up. The battery terminals are really corroded and every now and then lose connection and need to be tightened. Is it possible that because of not having a great connection the starter isn't able to get full power? I don't really have the money to go out and buy a new battery if it isn't a main part of the problem.
Is this a fuel injected or carb.. car?"
"Lighting the fuse of a proverbial powder keg from under the complacent fat ass of the World Wide Web."
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 98
Threads: 3
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-11-2011, 05:52 AM
#3
Fuel injected. and it's a 1999, I just saw my typo.
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-12-2011, 05:35 AM
#4
Well that could be alot of different things causing this, so i would try cleaning up the terminals and check all your plug wires etc. and then go from their you can do all that stuff for free just takes a little time.
"Lighting the fuse of a proverbial powder keg from under the complacent fat ass of the World Wide Web."
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 98
Threads: 3
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-12-2011, 06:04 AM
#5
Yeah. The terminals are not in the greatest condition. They're worn down pretty good. But still making a connection. As soon as I get my next paycheck I'm gonna get more plug wires, a new coil pack and brake rotors.
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
#6
Cool man well i hope that fixes your problems for you, im a mustang kinda guy myself so if it isn't a stang i don't know a whole lot about others lol
"Lighting the fuse of a proverbial powder keg from under the complacent fat ass of the World Wide Web."
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 98
Threads: 3
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-17-2011, 11:38 PM
#7
Yeah haha. I haven't had time to work on the starting problem. I've been fighting with the brake caliper bolts for the past few days. They're in there pretty good and the autoparts stores here don't carry a replacement so I have to order another before I can fix that problem. This car is nothing but trouble. The air doesn't work because the blower resistor is out, back brakes are a bitch to change, and it doesn't like to start very well. It took alot of work just to get a new radio installed and working correctly.
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 20
Threads: 2
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM
#8
Dang man sounds like you need some good insurance and a wild night .lol
"Lighting the fuse of a proverbial powder keg from under the complacent fat ass of the World Wide Web."
•
Fourteen Years of Service
Posts: 98
Threads: 3
RE: Anybody on here car smart? 02-21-2011, 09:48 PM
#9
Hahaha. I'm in need of a new damn car.
•