Twelve Years of Service
Posts: 56
Threads: 6
How to come out as an Atheist/Non-religious? 07-06-2014, 02:43 AM
#1
Need some help talking to my parents about this...they are hardcore Christians and even when I was 17 going on 18 still living at home they made me go to church or threatened to kick me out on the spot. Now that I'm living on my own, I feel as if It's only right they know the true me, definitely not a hardcore loving devoted Christian as they feel they are. At around age 19 I felt that I was an Atheist...however with time came reason and knowledge and I now believe that I'm just non-religious, there may be a god up above but I do not spend my days worshiping and thanking him for every little thing.
Afraid that my parents will kind of dis-own me in a way, and stop talking to me if I tell them...any tips?
•
Thirteen Years of Service
Posts: 4,192
Threads: 125
RE: How to come out as an Atheist/Non-religious? 07-06-2014, 04:54 AM
#2
Honestly, you need to just come out with it. If they dis-own you, then much isn't lost because they're pretty bad parents. I understand they're hardcore religious people, my family is too. But if I were to come out as a non-religious person (Which I'm a christian) then they would accept me for who I am. I can't say that for all people, and I'm very glad with the parents I have. However, if they don't accept you for who you are that's their problem because I'm sure you're a really nice person.
🍫 🍬 🎀
•
Thirteen Years of Service
Posts: 2,267
Threads: 132
RE: How to come out as an Atheist/Non-religious? 07-07-2014, 07:47 AM
#8
If you're having trouble confronting them, why not write a friendly letter to leave on the pillow or dinning room table?
•
Thirteen Years of Service
Posts: 991
Threads: 14
RE: How to come out as an Atheist/Non-religious? 07-07-2014, 07:55 AM
#9
"I'm an atheist. If you have a problem with that I can give you some Viagra to help you go fuck yourself."
No. Mother and I do not have a healthy relationship.
Honestly, you are what you are. It's like a festering disease: It'll only get worse the more you hide it.
•
Twelve Years of Service
Posts: 56
Threads: 6
RE: How to come out as an Atheist/Non-religious? 07-08-2014, 03:51 AM
#10
Thanks for the ideas guys, just waiting for a good day to contact them and get together with them. (Remember, I don't live at home anymore so it's not as easy as going upstairs and asking to talk to them).
•