Login Register






12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It filter_list
Author
Message
RE: 12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It #11
freedos thats it the others look like crap

Reply

RE: 12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It #12
Heard of FreeSuse, FreeDOS, AmigaOS, and ReactOS. Can't say I care for any of them.
[Image: 7ajmN5P.jpg]

Telegram: Oni_SL (Link)

Reply

RE: 12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It #13
I've missed a couple of those.

It's awful, but I tried KolibriOS for a while. Turns out, most things worth knowing about the OS are in russian...
[Image: R5aCcWV.png]

Reply

RE: 12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It #14
Never heard of
MonaOS
Visopsys
Aranym
MikeOS

Heard of all the others before...
[Image: jWSyE88.png]

Reply

RE: 12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It #15
(06-22-2013, 07:25 AM)Burak Wrote: Exactly, can hardly see a difference.


actually, windows is CDE, which came about from linux first. MS just reused it during the NT days.

Reply

RE: 12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It #16
Link in the OP looks to be dead Sad

(07-02-2014, 08:11 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote: actually, windows is CDE, which came about from linux first. MS just reused it during the NT days.

Can you link some details about this? I'm looking and I haven't found any reference about CDE (Common Desktop Environment right?) and early Windows days. Perhaps CDE was the inspiration for MS Windows? I'm kind of a history nerd w/ this type of stuff so I like to know these things, lol.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2014, 04:29 PM by roger_smith.)
---
Click here to get started with Linux!

If I helped you, please +rep me, apparently we've started over on Rep and I'd like to break 100 again...

Inori Wrote: got clickbaited by roger

Reply

RE: 12 Operating Systems You're Probably Never Heard of It #17
(07-02-2014, 04:24 PM)roger_smith Wrote: Link in the OP looks to be dead Sad


Can you link some details about this? I'm looking and I haven't found any reference about CDE (Common Desktop Environment right?) and early Windows days. Perhaps CDE was the inspiration for MS Windows? I'm kind of a history nerd w/ this type of stuff so I like to know these things, lol.

Should have specified. CDE was more or less just an idea, not a project. It was a design that was built and first implemented in the early days of things like LXDE and KDE (you can still see many hints in LXDE and KDE3). Microsoft used the same idea, with a mostly different implementation (there was no X.Org in windows).

Yes, it is Common Desktop Environment.

Reply