Login Register






Phonebloks are Coming! filter_list
Author
Message
Phonebloks are Coming! #1
If you haven't heard or seen about it, it's a phone basically where it is like it sounds, made of blocks. You can have different sized blocks for things such as storage, battery, ram and more.

Quote:We were intrigued by the Phonebloks concept phone that teased the ability to switch out a handset's components the way most users change ringtones, and now Motorola is putting its resources behind it. In what Motorola calls Project Ara, the advanced Technology and Products group is working with Phonebloks creator Dave Hakkens on an "endoskeleton (endo) and modules." Announced this evening on the company blog by Paul Eremenko, the company says it's already "done deep technical work" and is opening the process up to the community and volunteers (aka Ara Scouts, sign up here) to begin designing hardware modules. Its stated goal is to do for hardware what it says Android has done for software: create a vibrant third-party developer ecosystem, lower the barriers to entry, increase the pace of innovation, and substantially compress development timelines."

Suggestions for modules include the phone's CPU, display, extra battery, external sensors or anything else one can think of. The timeline currently points to a Module Developer's Kit (MDK) release this winter, while those volunteers can expect an exclusive discount when the product launches and the 100 most active are getting free phones. Hakkens has described his design as a "phone worth keeping" -- with the ability to upgrade piece by piece and (hopefully) never experience obsolescence again we'd call this idea a phone definitely worth building.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/29/motor...martphone/

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #2
Looks pretty cool, but will they be worth it?
Aim: auth@basedgod.co


[Image: first_animat_by_authworks-d6v9j2u.gif]

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #3
I saw this on a tech news channel on YouTube.
I think it'll be cool. I doubt it'll overthrow normal phones completely. But it'll be a cool thing for sure! Confusedmile:
[Image: A3sy7H7.png]
Before you start a war, you better know what you're fighting for. -The Cab

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #4
I really want one, looks awesome.
[Image: emmagifedited_zps1802965a.gif]

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #5
(10-31-2013, 10:45 PM)Villain Wrote: Looks pretty cool, but will they be worth it?

I am honestly thinking about swapping my iPhone for one of these once it's been out for a few months and I know what features it has/features coming to it

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #6
This seems really interesting, but I doubt it will surpass the smart phones that are out now.

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #7
Yep iphone will probably be popular for a few more years

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #8
(10-31-2013, 11:49 PM)Kirito Wrote: This seems really interesting, but I doubt it will surpass the smart phones that are out now.

It probably won't since as of now it doesn't have as much publicity as apple and at the moment theres nothing to show any of its features or what it can do, apps it can run, how powerful it really is. Just may have to wait till a lot more info about the phone is out.

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #9
I was really excited after the original video, but I never thought it'd actually happen.

It's gonna be so cool.

Reply

RE: Phonebloks are Coming! #10
(11-01-2013, 12:30 PM)Muzzy Wrote: I was really excited after the original video, but I never thought it'd actually happen.

It's gonna be so cool.

I thought this to, especially the whole message thing and him saying everyone post about it on this day and stuff. I never thought it would work, thought it would be another really good idea that 2 days later just gets blown away and everyone forgets about it and never happens.

Reply