Jargon is Sometimes Masturbatory [JISM] 12-06-2022, 01:56 PM
#1
Look, I like a good acronym as much as the next guy or gal.
Maybe I’m still struggling as a noob, frustrated when I’m unable to readily understand a post.
Maybe I find it exhausting having to refer to a million different reference guides and glossaries littered with misspellings.
Maybe I find the gatekeeping (e.g. iT’s CaLlEd tHe SeArCh BaR, EvEr HeArd Of iT??) pretentious and cult like because I’m too stupid and lazy to join.
But, like, fuck! Why does seemingly everything need abbreviated? Sure, every community/culture communicates in their own way, and presumably develop shorthand and more efficient language.
I feel like with hacking, social engineering (see, that wasn’t so hard), and crime (cybercrime in particular), this notion of communication efficiency is bastardized. More indulgent than helpful.
If you’re looking for usernames and passwords, why not just say that? Then there’s no ambiguity. If you say “logs” sure you saved some letters and time, but logs means a lot of things in a lot of contexts.
Or “fullz”…first of all what’s with the fuckin z? Are we 10? Secondly, there’s no clear set of info that a “fullz” denotes. A reasonable person would expect a name, birthday, SSN*, an address, maybe a number. But it’s not clearly defined. There’s room for interpretation.
I have a feeling I’m gonna get clowned for posting this, but whatever. On the off chance someone even kind of agrees with me it’s worth it.
*ok fuck I caught myself slipping. There’s a difference though.
~ K, G2G! L y L a S ~ HMU on da Celly lol
Maybe I’m still struggling as a noob, frustrated when I’m unable to readily understand a post.
Maybe I find it exhausting having to refer to a million different reference guides and glossaries littered with misspellings.
Maybe I find the gatekeeping (e.g. iT’s CaLlEd tHe SeArCh BaR, EvEr HeArd Of iT??) pretentious and cult like because I’m too stupid and lazy to join.
But, like, fuck! Why does seemingly everything need abbreviated? Sure, every community/culture communicates in their own way, and presumably develop shorthand and more efficient language.
I feel like with hacking, social engineering (see, that wasn’t so hard), and crime (cybercrime in particular), this notion of communication efficiency is bastardized. More indulgent than helpful.
If you’re looking for usernames and passwords, why not just say that? Then there’s no ambiguity. If you say “logs” sure you saved some letters and time, but logs means a lot of things in a lot of contexts.
Or “fullz”…first of all what’s with the fuckin z? Are we 10? Secondly, there’s no clear set of info that a “fullz” denotes. A reasonable person would expect a name, birthday, SSN*, an address, maybe a number. But it’s not clearly defined. There’s room for interpretation.
I have a feeling I’m gonna get clowned for posting this, but whatever. On the off chance someone even kind of agrees with me it’s worth it.
*ok fuck I caught myself slipping. There’s a difference though.
~ K, G2G! L y L a S ~ HMU on da Celly lol
sike!


![[+]](https://sinister.li/images/modern/collapse_collapsed.png)



















![[Image: 7ajmN5P.jpg]](https://i.imgur.com/7ajmN5P.jpg)








